Monday, May 07, 2007

More Than One Way to Skin a Bushing

Yes, that is a chisel clamped in the cross-slide and yes, I was wearing safety glasses. I started making the bushings for the bottom bracket tube tonight out of UHMW. I had been disappointed in the quality of the "cut" made by my hole saws, and they would have been a little to small anyhow. I came up with this solution: rough cut the bushing bigger than the final size, mount it in the drill press to spin it and then use my cross slide to clamp a chisel and turn it to final size like on a lathe. I was having a lot of chatter, but the I angled the chisel so that it was cutting with the corner only and it works great. With the cross slide you have excellent control and from the last pic you can see the fit is excellent! Now I will make one more and try to figure out how to accurately drill the hole in the centre.



2 comments:

yantski said...

Haaah! That's awsome!

Kirsten said...

Yes, you are the king of ingenuity honey!