Friday, May 04, 2007

Cutting the Rear Triangle Extention Tube

Ok, you gotta realize I am just making up part names now... But then again if you can come up with a better one.. it is the tube that is an extension of the main tube to connect to the bottom of the rear triangle. The rear triangle holds the rear wheel, and as Aidan is fond of saying, "the triangle is the strongest shape", or something like that. Ok here is what I did:

I had to cut a 2" grove at a 40 degree angle, so I drilled 2 guide holes in the 2" pipe at a measured 40 degree angle. I then cut with a hole saw using a guide made of a piece of a rod I salvaged out of a printer (that's a plug for gleaning if you didn't notice!). You can see I have started cutting from both ends as the hole saw only goes so deep.



Gack! you say, that's not lining up, how is it possible that the cut lines aren't going to meet properly??? Turns out it is an illusion. If you look at how the hole saw will intersect the tube, all will be ok. Trust me.

Here is the finished joint after a fair bit of trimming/fitting/cleaning up with a grinder.


Here is how it fits. Looks pretty nice I recon... Like I said, fair bit of fitting to get to this point. Notice my signature jiffy marker lines. If I want a precise mark I colour an area with jiffy then use a fine scribe, it works great!

A overall shot to show where this piece goes:



No comments: